Quick Installation

• Quick Installation

Posted by Richard Martinez on December 11, 2022 at 12:21 pm

Hello Coaches,

I am looking to get a few coaches opinions on here. I am normally running a I-formation pro set type of offense. I did always love the wing T blocking and practice concepts and used them as much as possible. It has been my plan to switch to wing T full time. The problem is in spring this is a very shortened season(6 games). So you only get 2 practices a week. Also you only have 3 weeks leading up to the first game. You can get 3 contacts in the first week of the preseason so you are talking 7-2hr practices before your first game. Also most of the kids you will get are going to be new because you only retain kids for 2 years max.

So my question is. If you had to microwave, if you will a running wing t offense with all brand new kids(11u) in a short amount of time. What would that installation plan look like? I need to know the easiest plays to install fast. I can work on getting more complex plays installed during the season. I just need to get something up and running fast and then we can add some of the more complex as the season goes on. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Lou replied 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Eli Gesell

February 1, 2023 at 4:08 pm

Hey Coach,

We switched to the wing-t last year from an air raid tea. We are in MN so we don’t get much time with our kids at all. 3 Weeks prior tp our first game. Our kids all play both ways so we needed to be simple. We installed buck series 1st to build everything off that. Then moved to belly series. Added some rocket sweep of our buck motions and added jet motion and sweep to the belly series for a change up. We went from a 1-9 air riad team to a 3-6 wing-t team… I’m not expert but the farther we got into last season the better things were clicking. With a youth team I think you could either go just 1 formation and then use multiple series, or go multiple formations and just use buck series

• Lou

March 3, 2023 at 7:31 am

Good morning Coach,

I completely agree coach! I would have 2 or 3 formations tops starting out and just install your Belly, G.O(Buck sweep) and your Down, and finish with Liz or RIP “REACH” that way you have every hole covered in and only having too teach a few things. That will also get your Tailback touches, as well as getting your wingbacks involved as well.

I was a true “Double Wing” guy for a long time. I then joined a staff that was all about the Spread and the Jet Sweep. I can honestly say that the Pistol Wing T that Rick runs is the absolute best! I Truly believe that it took both of my experiences as a coach both in Double Wing and in the Spread and it morphed the two into a truly effective offense! I can run everything that I’ve always wanted to run in both systems! I can run my everything that I have always ran just out of the pistol set. I highly recommend it! The #1 thing that Rick sells in his Pistol Wing T is that it’s a system! Not just a bunch of plays put together! I’m telling ya if you have the opportunity really dive into the Pistol Wing T system. It truly has all of the aspects that the other offenses had in my experiences. Also it takes the traditional Wing T concepts as well and just gives you more of an advantage to do more things out of the pistol look. I highly recommend it if you’re anything like me you like to run the football this definitely is the way to go if you’re committed to the Wing T or Double Wing for that matter this system was perfect for myself personally. I highly recommend it.

If I’m coaching a youth team that is 11U. If you’re looking at the Pistol Wing T system I would highly recommend installing the Buck Sweep, Belly, and Down. In the pistol Wing T they are families the G.O Family, the Belly Family and the Down Family. and if you have time for the younger kids the Liz and Rip family (Jet Sweep or Reach plays out of it good for youth in my opinion).

I hope that this helps coach! Have a great weekend and best of luck with your upcoming season!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Lou.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.