Coaches don’t decide to run FLEXBONE because they want to throw the ball.
BUT the opportunities to throw the ball are never greater than in this offense:
- Pass defenders in run/pass conflict.
- Run-stopping defensive fronts with no pass rush.
- Simple coverage schemes
- lots of 1 v 1 coverage.
- crowded boxes with very little stunting
ARE YOU OK WITH….
- Some Flex-bone coaches who have won some big games without “attempting” a pass.
- Some Flex-bone coaches who have won some big games without “completing” a pass.
- Many Flex-bone coaches have won a big game because they were able to throw the football when needed to.
- Unfortunately, some Flex-bone coaches have lost a big game because they couldn’t throw the ball
Would you like to throw when you WANT to rather than when you MUST?
- A successful passing game has “quality” over “quantity”. We like to throw when we WANT to much more than when MUST.
5-TIME LOUISIANA STATE CHAMP SCOTT DIETERICH will show you….
PROTECTON – nothing else matters until we can soundly protect.
- Protection is expensive and routes & actions are cheap –
- Learn two protections
- BOB-MAN PROTECTION
EASY QB reads & progressions
- throw from all the normal run flex formations.
- Not Feast or Famine – we believe in a short and intermediate passing game as well “shot” plays.
- Complement the passing game with draws, screens, and shovels
3-Step Quick Game (Red Zone Routes)
5-Step Drop-Back Game
Option & Toss Play-Action (Post-Snap RPO).
Cannot take up the majority or even half of practice time due to the demands of an option-based run game,
but you will need to practice the passing game…..so OFF SEASON & SUMMER are big for this.